Tel Aviv the White City
Architecture Archives Centre
promoted by the Embassy of Israel in Italy in collaboration with MAXXI, on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the birth of the State
curated by Nitza Metzger Szmuk
Hundreds of photos, sketches, plastic models and videos depict Tel Aviv and its architecture: a cutting-edge city from an innovation standpoint, today as in the early ‘900s
The exhibition provides the opportunity to rediscover the Modern Movement and the Bauhaus influences in Tel Aviv on the eve of the centenary of the movement that joined art, architecture and design, which was born in 1919 at the Bauhaus School in Weimar.
The exhibition begins with the late ’20s and ’30s, when the city started to grow owing to migrations from Europe. It was designed in accordance with the taste and influence of intellectuals and architects, thereby turning the peripheral, semi-deserted area of Jaffa into a modern and functional city.
The White City is an open-air museum housing the most-advanced international architecture of the 20th century
A number of architects who had studied and worked in Europe brought the revolutionary ideas of European architecture, including Italian rationalism, to this city: witness the Garden City designed by Sir Patrick Geddes and the two thousand buildings, of which 600 still exist, that make up the historic centre.