The Otolith Group. Thoughtform
October, 7th 2011 – February, 5th 2012
curated by Chus Martinez and Monia Trombetta, Assistant Curator MAXXI Arte
The Otolith Group. Thoughtform, the first exhibition in Italy devoted to the London-based group founded by Anjalika Sagar and Kodwo Eshun, has been co-produced by MAXXI and MACBA – Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona where it has been first presented last February.
The work of the Otolith Group draws on the archives of the past century in order to achieve new ways of interpreting and presenting facts and events overlooked by recent history.? The show aims to delve into the artist led collective’s methodology.
The installation could be seen as a set presenting the images and sounds of their films surrounded by a large series of materials that contextualize the pieces into their creative process. The interweaving of temporal logics is crucial to The Group’s practice which is continually crisscrossed by flash forwards that invites the spectator to adopt the role of an editor.
MAXXI will present a selection of their key works and the final version of the second part of their recent trilogy, Hydra Decapita, coproduced by MAXXI.
1. The Otolith Group, Film still from Otolith II, 2007 / Courtesy of The Otolith Group and LUX, London
2. The Otolith Group, Film still from Otolith III, 2009 / Courtesy of The Otolith Group and LUX, London
3. The Otolith Group, Film still from Communists Like Us, 2006 / Courtesy of The Otolith Group and LUX, London
4. The Otolith Group, Film still from Otolith, 2003 / Courtesy of The Otolith Group and LUX, London
The British School at Rome – Sainsbury Lecture Theatre
Rome, via Antonio Gramsci 61
Kodwo Eshun and Anjalika Sagar will be presenting their work in a conversation with the curator Chus Martinez.
- Visit website The Otolith Group
Caption: Still from Hydra Decapita, 2010